Tiramisu is in Italian, and it just means ‘Pick Me Up’ :)
Today Karen & I decided to make Tiramisu!
It’s one of my favourite cakes~
We were very happy about the outcome of our Tiramisu, the taste of it is great! Though, it’s a tat bit watery as we had soaked the Ladyfingers biscuit in the coffee mixture for way too long, and it got really soggy and absorb too much water in it. So, we’ll take note of this the next time when we do it again!
Making & Baking stuff is quite a joy now! Like Andrew said, even more fun when doing it together with friends, and best of all, my best friends~ We’re looking forward to make something else next week! ;)
Serves: 24 single servings
Ingredient for Coffee mixture:
- 1.5 cups espresso (you may dissolve 4tbsp instant coffee granules in 1.5cups of hot water)
- 0.25 cups of Kahlua
- 2 tsp sugar
Ingredient for Filling:
- 48 ladyfingers (errr, they are biscuits, not vegetables)
- 500g mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup fine granulated sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 tbsp Kahlua® coffee liquor (refer to below for **substitution for Kahlua, if it’s not available)
- 3 tbsp Bailey’s Irish cream
- 200ml heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
**Substitution for Kahlua (For non-alcoholic version): Replace Kahlua® coffee liquor with 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules dissolved in 1/3 cup water.
Let’s prepare the filling first.
1. Mash the mascarpone in a large metal bowl until smooth.
2. Put some water in a pot to a boil (creating a water bath) and then turn down to a low heat, creating a rolling boil.
3. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar in another large metal bowl, until light and fluffy. Then mix in Kahlua and Bailey’s.
4. Over the bain-marie (a.k.a. water bath from step 2), continue to beat the egg yolks until the mixture thickens. This should happen when you start to notice small bubbles forming at the bottom. Remove from heat.
5. Pour this mixture into the mascarpone cheese and beat in well.
6. Separately, whip up the cream until thick and fluffy.
7. Fold in the whipped cream into the mascarpone cheese mixture until well blended.
Now, let’s assemble the dessert!
Get the coffee mixture ready with the coffee mixture ingredients stated above.
Prepare a 9″x12″ pan, at least 2.5 inches tall.
8. In a shallow pan, mix espresso with sugar and Kahlua.
9. Dip each ladyfinger into the coffee mixture, give it a quick turn and start lining the bottom of the pan.
10. When the bottom of the pan is all nicely lined with coffee-soaked ladyfingers, pour half the filling evenly over them.
11. Repeat steps 9 and 10.
12. Sprinkle unsweetened cocoa with a sieve all over the top.
13. Refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours.